Wednesday, November 9, 2011

MY LATEST OBSESSION - MITTENS


These mittens are called Bella's Mittens and the pattern can be found for free on Ravelry here.  I've wanted to make them for a long time and now that it's getting colder and the leaves are changing I thought it was the perfect time.  I have always loved cables.  I took a knitting class about 30 years ago.  We had to pick out our own pattern and yarn.  Of course I didn't know what I was doing then.  I probably picked out the hardest pattern and most expensive yarn.  I never finished the sweater and didn't pick up knitting again until about a year ago.  I learned a lot making these mittens.  The instructions were very easy to follow and I think they are so cute.  The designer, Marielle Henault of subliminalrabbit.com, copied the mittens that Bella wore in the movie TWILIGHT.


The mittens are nice and long and will easily go over a sweater or sleeve.  I love the look of the big chunky horseshoe cables.  I think you get a lot of bang for your buck.



The pattern calls for you to use the Magic Loop method with a circular needle.  I decided to knit mine on size 8 double pointed needles.  Mainly, because I don't know how to do the Magic Loop method!  By using the DPNs, I think I knitted my gloves a little looser.  Many people have said the pattern knits up too small, but mine turned out perfect!



Below you can see how I have started the thumb gusset by moving stitches onto a holding bar.



Here I have finished the top of the mitten and now going back to knit the thumb.


And, here is the finished mitten.  Now bring on the snow!!!


No comments: