Tuesday, August 2, 2011

PAPER MACHE TUTORIAL


This is a paper mache piggy bank I made for a library display featuring novels about money.  Most of the materials I had at home.  I found the gold plastic coins and oversized paper money at Party City.


I started out with round balloons.  Tape them together using masking tape.  I only had painter's tape around.  I used toilet paper rolls for the legs and taped them in place.




I tear up newspapers in about 3-4" pieces and dip them into wallpaper paste.  Be sure to scrape most of the paster off of the paper before you apply to the form so it doesn't take too long to dry.  Sometimes I will dry with a hair dryer.  Keep applying pieces of paper mache all over the form.


Let the form dry between layers.  You will probably need to add 3 to 4 layers to make it sturdy.




I added a tail using a wire and wrapping newspaper around it.




The nose is made using part of a toilet paper roll.   I taped it on first, then added paper mache around it.


When the newspaper is completely dry, I paint the entire form with gesso.  This will seal the newspaper and serve as a base for your paint.


Now, start painting your precious little creature!





My finished display "MONEY MONEY MONEY" featuring all sorts of books about money.

No comments: