Tuesday, July 19, 2011

SUMMER ZUCCHINI

My son brought me a huge zucchini from his garden the other day.  It reminded me how much I miss really fresh vegetables.  We had a large garden about 30 years ago in Greenville SC and had fresh vegetables all summer.  




I cut it open to make some zucchini bread.  It sparkled like little diamonds.



The recipe called for 3 cups of shredded zucchini.  I had just enough.





And here is the freshly baked Zucchini Bread.  I got the recipe from a 1982 cookbook that my mother in law gave me.  Here is the recipe if you want to make some for yourself.

makes 2 loaves......so you can share this yumminess!

3 large eggs
2 cups brown sugar (dark)
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup salad oil
3 cups zucchini, peeled and grated
1 1/2 cup nuts (I used walnuts)
2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine eggs and sugar in large mixing bowl.  Add salad oil.  Stir in dry ingredients which have been sifted together.  Add zucchini and nuts.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until browned.    Bake at 350 degrees.....


Here is my son about 28 years ago holding another huge zucchini in our garden.


No comments: