Thursday, November 18, 2010

BOOK REVIEW "MUDBOUND"

I just finished reading a great book titled MUDBOUND by Hillary Jordan. If you liked THE HELP by Katherine Stockett, then you'll like MUDBOUND. It won the Bellwether Prize for fiction which is a prize for a book about social awareness. The book takes place in Mississippi just after WWII in the 1940's. The inside book cover describes it as "a gripping and exquisitely rendered story of forbidden love, betrayal, and murder, set against the brutality of the Jim Crow South". Every once in a while a book has made me cry, but I've NEVER cried AFTER I've finished a book and closed the cover..........until now! Hillary Jordan's descriptions make it easy for you to imagine her characters as when she states, "He felt light against me, insubstantial. His ribs protruded like the black keys of a piano."

I had never heard of this book until I was browsing the Kent District Library one day. Check out their "staff picks" and their "book club in a bag" reading lists. I also check out the staff picks on the Arapahoe Library District website. If you want a good book to read, try Hillary Jordan's MUDBOUND.

No comments: