Thursday, November 12, 2009

CHEESY CHICKEN CHOWDER

What is it about cool Fall weather that makes you want to make homemade soup? I made a huge batch of Cheesy Chicken Chowder the other day even though my hubby is out of town and all the kids are gone and out on their own. It's just me and Daisy, and she'd rather have cheesy dog biscuits! The recipe is from UPTOWN DOWN SOUTH, a Junior League cookbook from Greenville, South Carolina that a friend gave to me in 1994. We had both lived in Nashville and she had just moved to Greenville. My huge dalmatian, Butler, chewed the corner off the cookbook, but I still love it because it has so many great southern recipes! (He also chewed the corner off my sofa. Now he lives with the nice fire department in Nashville!) Here's the recipe:

CHEESY CHICKEN CHOWDER
8 Tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded carrots (I buy packaged)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups milk
2 cups diced cooked chicken (about 4 breasts, but I buy rotisserie chicken)
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
2 Tablespoons white wine, I used tequila because it was all I had!
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Melt butter in a skillet. Add carrots and onions and saute until tender. Blend in flour. Then add broth and milk. Cook and stir until thick and smooth. Ad remaining ingredients and stir until cheese is melted. Serves 8
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, this sounds delicious! What time's dinner? :)

Becky said...

Delicious! I love the "local" cookbooks. Grab 'em whenever I can. I usually consult 3 or 4 recipes for the same thing to decide which one will work best ;)